Alternative Medicine for Pets/German Shepherd with EPI

Question
Miley
Miley  
Hello,
 I have a 3 year old female German Shepherd named Miley. She was diagnosed about 7-8 months ago with EPI and food allergy. We have been feeding her a grain free kibble with enzyme replacement powder. We have heard a lot about raw diets for dogs with her disorder. However, I am unable to find a good recipe online and was hoping you could help. Do we feed raw with no enzyme powder? Or do we still have to use the powder along with raw diet. Also, how many pounds should she eat a day. She currently weighs about 50 lbs (getting her to gain has.been an issue) we are hoping the raw diet helps her with the disorder and gaining weight. Thank you so much!

Answer
Hello Rachelle,

A change to a raw diet would definitely help.But also eliminate the rawhide bones like the one in the picture as well as other snacks, especially ones that are beef based.
To get the information you need, go to my website http://naturalsforanimals.com and you will find a sign up box on the home page that will actually give you a FREE copy of my book, "Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet" . Read it all, it is over 20 years of researching and healing problems like Mileys'. It also has links to other information and products that will help.

About the need for enzyme powder with raw. At first, I would recommend staying on it as well as a probiotic supplement. After a few months of being on totally raw, you can reduce the amount of enzymes and possibly even discontinue them entirely, just see how she reacts. I would continue probiotic supplementation longer and possibly permanently due to her condition.

Keep me posted.

Sue

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin