Alternative Medicine for Pets/Canine Arthritis

I am hoping there is something more I can do to help my dog. She is a 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever suffering from arthritis.  My vet has her on Novox 75mg 2x/day, Tramadol 100mg 2x/day, and we give her one human grade tablet of Glucosamine 750mg, Chondroitin Sulfate Sodium 600 mg per day. She is epileptic but it is well controlled on 375 mg Potassium Bromide 2x/day. Her weight is good between 75 and 80 lbs. She is very lethargic and struggles to get up and manage short stairs. Thanks for your help.

Hello Francyn,

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you. I would recommend researching natural supplements such as "Cool Dog" and HerbSmith's herbal supplements as well as putting her on a raw food diet such as BARF ( )
or one of the many other prepared, frozen raw food diets that are available now. Dr Deva Khalsa also has a book out containing recipes specifically developed for arthritis. I believe I have a link to it in my book "Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet" which I am offering for FREE by going to my site: and filling out the pop-up form there. It is a very informative book which I think you will enjoy reading and will get a lot of valuable information from for both your girl now and other friends in the future.

The change of diet will probably help to get her away from epilepsy meds as well as Tramadol.

I would also recommend a phone consultation with an outstanding holistic vet that I have known for years; Dr Gerald Wessner. Contact him at 352-245-2025 to find out more and set up an appointment. He is truly wonderful and very caring.

Hope this helps.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.