Alternative Medicine for Pets/fleas

How much brewers yeast should I give to a 10 pound chihuahua per day to control/repeal fleas? Can nutritional yeast be substituted?

Hello Shirley,

Because another factor of brewers yeast is that it increases the appetite for use in under-weight dogs, I would recommend using 250 milligrams of the B vitamin Thiamine instead of yeast. Repel factor is excellent and without the possible negative side effects of yeast. There is also a product called "Bug Off Garlic" that is excellent.

By the way, 500 ml per day of Thiamine for humans will act as a wonderful mosquito repellant.

Hope this helps,

PS: My book, Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet" covers natural flea control quite thoroughly. You can get a FREE PDF copy by submitting the form pop up on my site: .
Also, while you are there, read about Critter Oil and its many uses for natural flea control.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.