Alternative Medicine for Pets/5 Yr Old Male Pug Dog Intermittent Lameness

Our5-year-old pug dog sometimes carries his right front paw. It started at first if he got up quickly after sleeping. It was as if he had no control over one side or would kind of (not all the way) fall over one side.
He can run and play at some times, then he will try to get comfortable and take a nap, but kind of wobble his way down. Additionally, he licks his right front paw a lot. This is not unusual because he sometimes would lick one front paw or the other for about 5 minutes right before going to bed.

He does not seem to show any pain, but it is killing my husband and me to watch him and worry!

Please help!!

Hello Missy,

Unfortunately, this is one of those issues that without actually seeing or putting my hands on your boy, there is not much I cn do to help, however, it sounds to me as if you should seek out a holistic vet in your area that does acupuncture and/or chiropractic, at least that is what I would do. I would also make sure that he was getting a quality raw food diet like OC Raw, Northwest Naturals, BARF or one of the other excellent frozen raw diets that are now pretty readily available. If you can't find one locally, BARF has a monthly drop ship program available and their methods are excellent for preserving freshness. Follow this link if you want to find out more:

The reason for the change of diet is to make sure that his enzyme and nutrient content is effective for preserving his joints and soft tissue health.

You may want to download a free copy of my book, Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet at my site: . There is a lot of very valuable information in it (over 25 years of study and experience). I decided to offer it for free because it is information that every dog owner truly needs to know, but don't necessarily know that they need to know.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to call me either at 727-327-2356 or 727-327-8769.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.