Alternative Medicine for Pets/soft coated wheaton terrier throwing up blood

i have a 3 year old Wheaton terrier who threw up fresh blood today. she has a very sensitive stomach. she is a very stressed dog when anyone leaves the house. i did find a few pieces of rubber from a tennis ball in her vomit. she seems slightly lethargic her nose is cold and wet. she has refused to eat today. we give her quality dog food as we have had issues in the past very very sensitive.please advise me as what i can do for her. we have been to the vet in the past for other stomach issues and they just send us home with medication which does help, and large bills. would like some holistic advice. i also have a 5 year old German seaward who has a torn acl.i would prefer not to do surgery. any advice?

It is difficult to give you advise on your Wheatie because the issue could be very serious when a dog is throwing up blood. If she is still doing so today (I am sorry that it took so long to get back to you), by Monday, I would get her to a vet as a piece of the tennis ball could be causing a lot of damage. If she managed to throw up all of the pieces and the offending piece is now out of her stomach, by now, her system should be returning to normal, and just giving her a very bland diet possibly with some aloe juice or fresh aloe (the inside of the leaf, pulped in a blender) mixed in will probably get her the rest of the way.

For a more permanent solution to her stomach issues, I would put her on raw pumpkin (about 1-2 tablespoons) mixed in with her food, and a quality enzyme and probiotic formula like HerbSmith's formula. You should also download my FREE book, Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet at my website for as lot more information.

The stress when people leave the house is generally a conditioned response that is trained in inadvertently by owners when dogs are very young. it can be helped by Flower Essences, homeopathy or herbal formulas but it is also important to decondition the response by changing the human behaviors that conditioned it in the first place. I can explain and talk you through it if you would like to call me, but it is too lengthy to write it all down here. My number in the evening is 727-327-8769.

I bread Wheaties for many years by the way.

As for your other dog's ACL, if it is actually torn and not just pulled, surgery may be your only option, but in the meantime, I would put him on a quality raw food diet like BARF        ( ), OC Raw, Northwest Naturals, etc. A raw diet is essential to tissue healing and development and may get him quite a long way back. I would recommend it even if you have the surgery because of the healing and strengthening benefits.

I hope this helps.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.