Alternative Medicine for Pets/CHF help

Hi, I have a soon to be 12 year old mini poodle that has been diagnosed with CHF. I have him on hawthorne and many other vitamins as well as meds from the vet. He has what sounds to be a congested nose. Is this coming from the CHF Is there anything I can do to help him? He eats good actually reminds me when time to eat. He is not very active and cannot stay outside in warm air for a long period of time. For some reason the base of his tail is sore and he cries when I touch it. Any ideas on what I can do for more improvement?

Hello Angie,

I assume that CHF is an acronym for Congestive Heart Failure. If so, more than likely the noise you are hearing is a result of his condition.

It sounds as if you are treating his issues just as you should be.

As for the base of his tail, is there an open sore or is it just painful to him? Not seeing him, it is not realistic for me to be able to tell you what is going on exactly, but let me suggest that you consider taking him to an alternative vet who practices acupuncture &/or chiropractic. The pain may be related to his spinal column, and treating it would potentially improve his circulation and health in general. If the vet also is familiar with homeopathy, he/she may also have additional assistance for the CHF.

Hope this helps.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.