Alternative Medicine for Pets/Itchy Frenchie

My 11 month Frenchie has itchy armpits! They don't look that bad when he doesn't itch them, but when left unchecked he will itch them both (front leg pits) almost constantly until they are red and inflamed. I think this started about 3 months ago, but it seems to be getting more itchy as it goes. In the past 2 weeks or so his eyes have started watering a bit too--he is just starting to have noticeable tear stains.

He eats Acana Wild Prairie, and I wash him with the shampoo the vet gave me months ago, KetoChlor. He regularly gets "Buddy Biscuit" treats, and occasionally "Greenies" treats. I've been bathing him weekly, sometimes cleaning his arms with warm water during the week to keep them clean. I usually put bacitracin ointment on them after, probably twice weekly. I've been checking for fleas or pests often but can't see any signs of them.

Any help would be a blessing, thank you!

Hello Anna,

The timing of the start of the itching makes it appear to be a result of his vaccinations. I would go to a health food store that carries homeopathic remedies and get a detox formula for vaccines. Use it as directed. Also, I would remove the treats totally.

There is a lot to tell you, so I would suggest that you go to my website: , fill out the form that comes up and get a free copy of my book: Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet. I have been studying all of this and eliminating itchy skin issues for over 25 years, and this book is a condensation of all of those years of study and experience. It only takes about two hours to read, but contains information that every dog owner needs to know. If you have any further questions after reading it, feel free to call me at my shop number: 727-327-2356.  While you are at the site, I would also recommend that you check out Critter Oil. It would help your boy out.

Take care,

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.