Alternative Medicine for Pets/Lump on paw

dog lump
dog lump  
QUESTION: My 5 year old Rottweiler developed a lump on her paw pad. She occasionally limps. Vet recommends surgery, but it's really tiny and since the fine needle aspirate found it to be a benign sebaceous cyst, I would like to try something holistic first. Any ideas on what I can do to help the lump shrink? After the fine needle aspirate it has deflated but it's still there, I am afraid it will fill up again. So far, I have done Epson salt baths and applied castor oil. Thank you kindly for your time!

ANSWER: Hello, Janet,

What you are doing is good. You may want to go to my web-site ( )container of our Super Goop. It is the most healing ointment on the planet. Put it on the cyst a couple of times a day. Also, I would put her on about 1 tablespoon of Colloidal Silver twice a day. You can get it on our site, or to save on shipping, look at your local health food store for an ionized, micro-particle silver that is at least 30ppm.

Another suggestion would be to put her on at least 50% raw food diet. This will help keep her pH balanced and both help her immune system and her nutrient absorption. We have a client that got an older Whippet from a rescue organization that had a lump on her hip the size of half a hard boiled egg. When we put her on 50% raw food (a pre-prepared, frozen formula) the lump shrank down flat.

If there is something inside the cyst which irritates it and causes it to develop puss as a cushion, it may just keep filling up until what ever is causing the irritation works its way out or further in to where it is no longer an irritant.

If it opens up again or the vet drains it again, definitely Super Goop.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Thank you. Is the pre-packaged raw diet the one made from Nature's Variety Instinct? I want to feed raw but am confused so would do best with something already made.

ANSWER: Instinct is a very good. I like OC Raw, Northwest Naturals, BARF, and Steve's Real Food as well.
It depends on what is available in your area. BARF has an automatic drop sip program as well. You can check it out here:

There are several good books on preparing your own raw food as well. You can find out more about them by going to our web site and getting a free copy of my book Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet, if you haven't already gotten it. There are links to several books on the raw food diet.

I generally recommend using a frozen variety from a quality company because of the time and complexity of preparing a balanced diet at home, but it is also beneficial to educate yourself on nutrition, alternative remedies, and so-forth. It is also really fascinating.

Keep me posted.

QUESTION: Thanks, I went on the website and couldn't find a link for the supergoop. All I saw was critter oil, is it the same thing? Where can I purchase the supergoop? thanks again!

Go to the site , click on Shop at Naturals For Animals, then click on Natural Health Remedies and supplements. That will take you to Super Goop.

While you are on the site, check out Critter Oil. It is an amazing product that replaces hundreds of dollars of other products for flea control both on the dog and in the environment, coat conditioning, and skin health as well as having uses and directions for plants and people too.

We produce the majority of the products on our site, and have used Critter Oil exclusively in our grooming facility for over 20 years. Our clients love it. You can see our facebook page at

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.