Alternative Medicine for Pets/Newly diagnosed diabetic cat

Question
My 4 year old cat was just diagnosed with diabetes.  He is still urinating on my sofa, and I cannot get him to go back in the litter box.
We switched his diet to high protein and I am giving him the same wet food he has always liked, but will not eat anything.  His appetite has greatly been reduced.  

I do not want to give him insulin, and the vet is hoping his diet will help him get back to normal.

I am at a loss of what to do about his loss of appetite.  Is there any herbs that can help get his sugar levels back to  normal.

I would so appreciate it if you could help me.

In advance, I thank you so much.

Answer
Hello Cheryl,

First off, what wet food are you feeding? If it is not a natural, grain free food, you need to get him off of it, and for the best results diet wise I would recommend getting him on a totally raw diet if possible. There are severalexcellent frozen varieties available: Rad Cat, Raw Health, OC Raw, etc. If you find one, switch him over very very slowly by mixing in just the tinest ammount of raw and raising the ammount every couple of days while reducing the ammount of his other food untill he is eating completely raw. The primary reason for going raw is the fact that all of the essential enzymes are still living which helps with blood sugar, absorption, etc. For more information, go to my website, http://naturalsforanimals.com and get a free copy of my book "Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet". There is a lot in it that every pet owner needs to know.

As for herbs, cinnamon is vewry good for blood sugar issues. Try just a pinch at first to get him used to the smell and taste. There are many others, often found in formulas at the health food store. I don't know which one to suggest for a cat, and if he isn't eating,it would be hard to get them into him.

I would recommend contacting Dr Gerald Wessner (a wholistic vet) for a phone consultation by calling 352-245-2025. He is outstanding with homeopathy, etc and just incredible in general.

Hope this helps,
Sue

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin