Alternative Medicine for Pets/My poor dog teared her ACL

Per my vet's diagnosis, my dog has a completely torn ACL and osteoarthritis in her knee. She recommended surgery and prescribed tramadol, rimadyl and glucosamine. I am only giving the glucosamine right now. She was on Turmeric but I had to stop it because it interferes with NSAID's like rimadyl and tramadol. I also had to stop the turmeric because if she needs surgery it is my understanding that it interferes with proper blood clotting. Yet,through research I hear about lots of people who have healed their dogs through conservative management and skipped the surgery. I am also scared to give the tramadol and rimadyl and was wondering if it would be bad to continue the turmeric and bromelain instead and try to skip surgery and see what happens after 8 weeks of complete rest. I heard the torn ligament will form scar tissue if it rests and in 6 months should heal. I would love your input on this! Thanks!

Hello Alessa,

This question would fall under the parameters of "practicing medicine without a license", so I can't really make a whole lot of recommendations. I would recommend that you find a Holistic Vet in your area and work with them, or call Dr Gerald Wessner at 352-245-2025 and schedule a phone consultation. He is wonderful. I would also recommend that you put your dog on a totally raw diet, or at least 50% raw to 50% grain free (add enzyme and probiotic supplement as well 50/50 or just grain free dry)). There are outstanding frozen diets available if you live in an area where they are available. If not,BARF has a drop ship program. To check it out, just follow this link:

The reason for the raw food diet is that it will help repair tissue much better than anything else.

I think that your instinct to avoid tramadol and rimadyl is a good one. Pain is the body's way of keeping your friend from over taxing the tissue so it can begin to heal, so it is actually a good thing. It will be hard enough to keep him off of it for a very long time while it heals.
Also, they are both hard on the body in other ways.

I hope this helps.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.