Alternative Medicine for Pets/constipated toy poodle

I need to know what can I do for my  6 year old toy poodle?He has been constipated for a long time.He belonged to someone else and when we got him he was on a hard dog food meant for grown adult dogs.I took him to the vet cause he was eating grass a lot and the vet gave him a enema which seemed to clean him out.he got constipated again 3 days later.He told us to keep giving him enemas,but can't this hurt a dog by  giving then enema's all the time.Why can't he go normally? what can we do for him? he has upset stomach's a lot.We changed his dog food and he goes a little softer but still has a hard time going-when he does go he goes in 2 days.Could there be something wrong with him?

Sorry for the length of time to answer. My computer was out of commission. I would add a quality enzyme and probiotic formula to your dog's diet. Also try adding about a teaspoon  to a tablespoon of pumpkin to his meals every time. Use straight pumpkin, not the spiced pie filling variety. These should help. I would suggest reading my book which you can get a free PDF copy of by going to my site: and submitting the pop-up form. It has a lot of very important and valuable information on nutrition.

Hope this helps.
Sue Griffin

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.