Alternative Medicine for Pets/Dog Behavior

My 10 yr. old black lab mixed dog ; just recently,  within the last month,  sporadically displays out of character behavior.  She insists on going out side, waiting at the doors, when taken out, she acts like she really doesn't where to go, or wants to go into the car, or seems to want to have a bowel movement, hides behind the furniture etc. When this happens we try and accommodate her. She will follow us around and it always connected with an increase of rapid breathing...we try and calm her by petting, massaging, reaffirming her.  Eventually she calms down...this behavior is at different times of the day, and it doe not happen every day.  we originally thought it was regarding her allergies that seem to be worse in August, and we gave her Benadryl one dose for two days and all that accomplished was her being sleepy, not changing her behavior  Taking her to the vet and getting some kind of diagnosis, is out of our financial situation at this any input you might have would be greatly be appreciated.  Do you think she has or is coming down with dementia, or could it be the beginning of a chronic disease, like diabetes...there has been no change on her eating or fluid habits, her sleep is normal . JUST THIS behavior is different. ... we have even considered that she is in some kind of pain, but she doesn't seem to be...there episodes only last a little while.   THANK YOU!

Hello Harry,

There are a lot of reasons for this type of behavioral change. I actually would prefer to talk to you by phone, one-on-one (no charge)so I can dialogue with you in more detail and possibly be able to give you a more narrowed down idea of what might be going on and possible natural remedies that might help. You can call me on my personal office number @ 727-327-8769.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Susan Griffin

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.