Alternative Medicine for Pets/cat tapeworms

I have two cats, one female - 4 yrs old - 7lbs & one male - 7 yrs old - 9lbs. Both have tapeworm. We have treated both for fleas & the inside/outside of the house has been treated by a professional pest control company (we made sure the products he used were pet friendly). I've tried several times to treat both cats with a pill that was recommended by our local co-op. I don't know if you've ever tried to give a pill to a cat, but from my recent experience, it's impossible. Both cats ended up scratching and biting me to the point that I was bloody & the pills ended up on the floor in pieces. I tried grinding the pills up and putting them in their food. They refused to eat any of the food. So I bought garlic pills. They love the garlic but after a month of taking the recommended dosage daily, I'm still seeing little tape worms in their bedding & feces. Is there anything else that I can do to get rid of these parasites? I'm afraid they're going to make my babies sick or at the very least extremely uncomfortable. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much & God bless
Amy R.

Hello Amy,

My daughter has several cats and when any of them gets tape worms, she does something that is going to sound rather strange; she gives them dark beer (Guinness, Bush, St Polly Girl, etc.).
Get a twist cap bottle, and every day pour a bit in a bowl. In general,animals won't drink until they get drunk (that's a stupid human thing). Pour the remaining back into the bottle and give again the next day. Several days in, you will possibly see a large bunch of worms in the stool, and can discontinue the beer.

There is also a homeopathic remedy called Worm Clear that is liquid and should be easier to administer than a pill.

Hope this helps.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.