Alternative Medicine for Pets/fireworks

Do you have any idea what kind of medicine is usefull to treat my dog. He gets extremly nervous at Christmas time when he hears fireworks.

There are several holistic remedies that could be used. HerbSmith has a calming herbal formula; the Bach Flower Essence "Rescue Remedy" has been used by many, and HomeoPet has a homeopathic formula developed specifically for fireworks, thunderstorms,etc called "Anxiety TFLN". I am sure that a search will reveal even more.

What ever you use, I would recommend starting to administer it at least 12 hours before potential exposure to the fireworks so that more than one dose can be administered in order to get into the system.

Hope this helps.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.