Alternative Medicine for Pets/Precious

Question
I am caring for my daughter's 11 year old, 18 lb Min Pin while she is overseas working.  Her name is Precious and she is a diabetic and receives insulin twice daily.  She has just been diagnosed with phemphigus.  She has a blood red, raw area above one eye,the same starting over the other one. Her lips are very dry, and almost crusty.  The vet has put her on prednisone, a topical ointment containing steroids and an immune system suppressant.  

Precious is a wonderful dog and I want to do everything I can for her.I really don't think all the drugs will be good for her and I know that the steroids can really mess with her diabetes.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much for your time.

Answer
Hello Elaine,

This is a situation that really needs to be handled by a holistic vet. One of the best in the country is here in Florida but does phone consultation and is absolutely amazing. To set up an appointment, call his office at 352-245-2025. His name id Dr Gerald Wessner, and you can truly feel his compassion over the phone. He is also quite affordable compared to other vets because he is actually in it for the animals. I would recommend that you give him a call (best around 2 pm EST). Leave a message if no one answers because he works on horses as well and is out of the office frequently.

I would recommend also that you put her on a raw food diet. There are many frozen varieties available at quality pet stores. Introduce it to her slowly, removing her regular food over a period of 3-5 days.

Please contact Dr Wessner..you won't regret it.

Hope this helps.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin