Alternative Medicine for Pets/Panosteitis treatment help-Thanks in advance!

Question
Hello Susan and thanks in advance for your time/help. My 1 year old German Shepherd just got diagnosed with Panosteitis, which showed up in his right rear leg. I was given an anti-inflammatory medication, but after researching it and seeing many horror stories about it I don't feel comfortable giving it to him. What is a supplement and/or food products I can give him that have anti-inflammatory properties? He has been eating "Taste of the Wild" "Pacific Stream Adult Formula" (Salmon/Sweet Potato/Whitefish based) as recommended by the vet earlier in his puppyhood due to allergies. Now after getting his diagnosis I've read on German Shepherd forums that this might have too much calcium and could have contributed to his problem. Can you offer any advice on what I should do? Thanks again!

Answer
Hello Autumn,
If possible, I would put him on a totally raw diet. The fact that all of the enzymes are alive and well will help with his immune system and inflammation as well as being highly bio available. There is a brand called OC Raw that would be very good. Its manufacturer has giant breed dogs so are familiar with growth issues. The large breeds often grow too fast as a result of genetics and overly supplemented nutrition: too high protein,too much supplemented vitamins and minerals, etc. It is important to keep nutrition highly digestible more than high percentages. I used to breed Newfoundlands. We had to allow them to mature slowly in order to avoid bone growth problems.

You might also consider a phone consultation with an awesome Holistic Vet that I know; Dr Gerald Wessner. His number is 352-245-2025. He is also reasonable cost wise.

Hope this helps.

Sue Griffin  

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin