Alternative Medicine for Pets/hyperthyroidism in my cat

Question
I am trying to find a way to make a homemade diet for my cat with hyperthyroidism.  His weight is good and he only shows signs because his T4 is high.  i tested his blood twice.  the first time it was 6.4.  now it is 10.2 or thereabouts.  he has been getting acupuncture and chinese herbs for the condition.  he had a chest x-ray as he was coughing and also i wanted to see about doing the radioactive iodine treatment.  however, he showed a mass in his lung area.  he is on antibiotics now and the coughing has stopped so far, so i am cautiously hoping that the "mass" is an abscess, not a tumor.  
I have him now on a combination of y/d mixed with raw duck or raw lamb and some yam and/or mashed organic pumpkin.  he also gets a probiotic and coconut oil or flax seed oil.  i discontinued all other supplements, such as fish oil and green supplements that have kelp and spirulina, as i am trying to inhibit the intake of iodine.  he was getting a high quality raw diet, but there was a lot of iodine in the supplements.  
do you have any suggestions?  he is on the antibiotics now for a week and the vet wants to do another chest x-ray in 2 weeks.  i also have an appointment with a surgeon at a specialized animal hospital to talk about taking out the mass surgically.

Answer
Hello Barbara,
I am sorry to have taken so long to answer your question but my computer was down for over a week and it is taking quite a while to catch up on everything.

I am not a vet, so there is not much I can help you with here.

I would stick with a holistic vet.

There is a book on natural diets written by an excellent vet named Dr Deva Khalsa. It contains diets for specific health issues. “Dr. Khalsa’s Natural Dog; A Holistic Guide for
Healthier Dogs” Here is a link to get it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593786476?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=15937

I hope I have been of some assistance.

Sue

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin