Alternative Medicine for Pets/My cat needs help

My Maine Coon cat, Marbles, is about 5 1/2 years ago. I took her to the vet recently when she became very tired and seemed to have no energy to play like she usually did.  Long story short, over a period of about three weeks, she had numerous blood tests taken, x-rays, bio acid test and an ultrasound.  She is on her second round of antibiotics in the hopes that part of her problem is an infectious disease that the antibiotics will cure.  The antibiotics are almost gone, and she is no better.

After the initial appointment with the vet, she began limping. I assumed that it was because she was so upset about having blood taken that maybe she sprained her leg or ankle.  Over the next few weeks, the limp did not improve.

In the meantime, she has been diagnosed with a heart murmur, polycystic kidney, cirrhosis of the liver, and there is something wrong with her spleen as well.  None of these conditions are necessarily a death sentence so the testing continued to find out what was making her not feel well and run a fever.

Ultimately  the temperature came  down. She has been on heart medication since finding out about the murmur.

As indicated, she is a Maine coon so she has long fur. Since she wasn't feeling well, she wasn't grooming herself very much so she got very matted.  I cut as many of them off as I could but there were just too many underneath and on her sides. I took her to the groomers several days ago so that they could remove them. I was so shocked to see her when I picked her up.  I knew she had lost weight and went from a 7 pound cat to a 5 1/2 pound cat, but to see how tiny she was with most of her fur shaved, it was very upsetting.

The most upsetting thing though is what the groomer told me on the phone before I picked her up.   She asked me if I had noticed that she had a mass on her back left upper leg. This is the leg that I mentioned above that she was limping on.  The vet did another x-ray and found that she has what is believed to be a fibrosarcoma tumor.  Cost to remove it… Approximately $2000.  Since I can't afford that, the vet recommended removing just a small piece of the tumor to get a definite diagnosis in case it is just a foreign matter that somehow got inside her.  Cost to remove a small piece… Approximately $600.

I have read different things online and am questioning whether or not this is the result of a vaccination, and if so, does that make the vet or the vaccination company liable for my cat having a tumor?

So far I have spent approximately $2000 on these tests. I love my cat, but unfortunately I am also a single mother with two young children and can't afford to do procedures and tests that will ultimately not fix all of these other problems and could ultimately  kill her sooner than later.

I am also posting this message to see if anybody else has dealt with something like this and has any suggestions as to what I can do to make her short time here as comfortable as possible since there appears to be no cure.  If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you.  Thank you so much for your time!

I am sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.

The chances of the tumor and possibly other issues as well being as a result of vaccinations &/or other vet related toxins such as flea meds. are extremely good. I am not, however qualified to give you either diagnostic or legal advice so I can say no more. You may want to get a free copy of my book, "Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet" by submitting the pop-up form on my web site . It will give you a lot of valuable information.

Also, I would suggest that you locate a holistic vet in your area who practices homeopathy or Chinese medicine for a consultation. If you don't have one in the area, there is a wonderful vet, Dr. Gerald Wessner, in FL who does phone consultation and is absolutely amazing. His phone number to set up a consult is 352-245-2025.

Again, sorry for the delay.
Susan Griffin

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.