Alternative Medicine for Pets/My Miniature Schnauzer
Shaylee wrote at 2007-06-27 16:56:14
Actually, I used to work at a vet clinic and dogs should not eat cat food. It has too much protein in it and can make them sick. (we had a dog in there once that died from too much protein, their bodies cant handle it) This dogs pancreas was swollen and it stopped eating and was in a lot of pain. Dog food is for dogs and cat food is for cats. Their nutritional needs are very different. Some dogs have eaten cat food and been ok, maybe it was the brand they were eating, but with so many brands on the market, why take that chance that it wont hurt your furry friend.
tlb1cd wrote at 2008-05-28 17:34:21
For higher protein dog foods, look to Natural Life and/or Canidae. Both have a hypoallergenic line of dog food and may have the higher protein levels you seek.
riannon wrote at 2009-05-04 19:18:33
Dogs should also not have garlic. There is a chemical in garlic and onions that is toxic to dogs and can cause anemia, liver damage, vomiting and loose stools. Signs can show up 1-3 days after ingestion. The ingredient is thiosulphate, and though lesser amounts are contained in garlic than in onions, it's safest to avoid, especially for small dogs.
irvinerunner wrote at 2015-03-27 15:41:41
I am shocked that you would even mention the use of garlic for dogs. According to ASPCA :
"All close members of the onion family (shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, etc.) contain compounds that can damage dogs’ red blood cells if ingested in sufficient quantities. A rule of thumb is “the stronger it is, the more toxic it is.” Garlic tends to be more toxic than onions, on an ounce-for-ounce basis. While it’s uncommon for dogs to eat enough raw onions and garlic to cause serious problems, exposure to concentrated forms of onion or garlic, such as dehydrated onions, onion soup mix or garlic powder, may put dogs at risk of toxicosis. The damage to the red blood cells caused by onions and garlic generally doesn’t become apparent until three to five days after a dog eats these vegetables. Affected dogs may seem weak or reluctant to move, or they may appear to tire easily after mild exercise. Their urine may be orange-tinged to dark red in color. These dogs should be examined by a veterinarian immediately. In severe cases, blood transfusions may be needed."
I think you need to go into a different field and stay away from pets and humans, as well.