Alzheimer`s Disease/Endstage Alzheimer's-supplemental oxygen

Daddy's Girl wrote at 2010-12-12 22:15:33
Paula,

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this disease.  I do promise that you will have many opportunities share what you are learning with others, and for me that has been helpful.  

My father also had very low PO2 saturations during his last 2.5 years of Alzheimer's.  I requested that the facility not administer oxygen, unless he appeared to be in distress.   Although his levels were low he did not appear to be in any distress throughout his illness.  My request was supported by hospice because he was not short of breath, his nail beds appeared to have capillary refill, his extremities were warm to the touch, etc…  For me the palliative purpose of oxygen administration was negated by the irritation that it caused him because of his mental confusion.  Although there were a few nurses that thought I was evil, the fact was that if they had not check his PO2 as just a normal course of his care they would have never known his levels were low since he was asymptomatic.   My father was better served by not administering oxygen.  Through the process of his illness I learned that several of his family members including my sibling also consistently have a low PO2.

ajmantiques wrote at 2012-12-31 18:51:55
my husband ,age 65 has been on his journey with Early Onset  Alzheimer's for 13 years; he also needs to be fed, ambulated and now requiring supplemental o2 to keep his O2 sats adequate.  he sleeps most of the time now; but smiles when his family visits.

I agree the O2 doesn't keep him alive but it helps to maintain the the little brain he has left .

Alzheimer`s Disease

Paula Damgaard