Alzheimer`s Disease/Timeline for final stages of early onset dementia

Andrea wrote at 2012-07-27 16:39:28
I'm so glad I found this site.  I'm going through this with my mum.  I'm getting so much conflicting information.  Mum is refusing all food and only tolerates a sip or two of fluids.  She is now down to under 6 stones in weight.  She has lost 12 kilos in 8 weeks.  I've been told to contact the family and when I researched this all the information pointed to the fact that she may have just a couple of weeks left.  Today, the nurse at the CH was really annoyed with me and said to stop telling people that mum is dying as she could live for years!   I too want to be with mum at the end and I live far away.  I just want a rough idea so I can plan to be with her as she has leant on me always for love and comfort and vice versa.   I was so angry that I thought I would seek a second opinion as I'm being made to feel as though I'm wishing my mum gone when nothing could be further from the truth.  

Lisa wrote at 2012-11-08 05:56:42
Thank you all for you insight and information I care for my Dad at home and he is now in his last week/weeks and I have been comforted by your expert advice and now feel I have done all that I could possibly have done on my own. I have run the gamut of problems with the various agencies & respite nursing homes involved and their less than compassionate views,handling and lack of sharing the Dads case file.

Your information has been invaluable Thank you !!!

Alzheimer`s Disease

Mary Gordon

Several years direct experience as caregiver for family member who died of end stage AD. Did lots of research and dealt with a lot of health care professionals and caregivers over the 7 years from diagnosis to the end. Used various care options from community based resources to increasing levels of institutional. Mother of three, two born during our loved one's decline, so I know what it is to be the ham in the sandwich, taking care of the older generation and the younger at the same time and trying to balance everyone`s needs. Ask me, I`ve probably been there, done that. We made lost of mistakes and learned everything the hard way - but you don`t have to! If I can`t answer your question, I`ll steer you to a place or person who can.

Currently a program manager for a large utility company. My Alzheimers experience comes from having the illness in our family. Out of necessity, we did a lot of research in order to understand the disease, plan for what might come next, and make the right decisions to help and support our loved one. Please note, I am a Canadian living in Toronto, and therefore am not the best person to ask about US regulations and insurance rules!