Alzheimer`s Disease/Mother with dementia

Giesela wrote at 2013-10-20 17:09:25
My now 90 yr old mother started suffering from what I think is mild vascular, old age dementia (after 2 close together falls, testing showed she had recently had two small strokes.  She has a lifelong history of anxiety, PTSD.

Short story, after ending up in a geriatic psych ward where they found a UTI she is on GEODON.  

Its been a few weeks and she seems mentally and emotionally so much better.  And nicer!  I'm not sure what else she is on currently, she had recently been put on Cymbalta for pain and I think she had been using Antivan for awhile but I'm not sure what all she is on now.  

Her main problem right now is that she is in a nursing for post psych unit rehabilitation but is doing so much better she is complaining about she shouldn't be there, she has no one to talk to because no one else has their minds.  We don't know what's next, she can't go back home alone and we don't know how long this mental alertness interlude will actually last. They discussed taking her off the Geodon because of the danger but we are talking quality of life vs. quanity for a 90 year old.  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Mary Gordon

Several years direct experience as caregiver for family member who died of end stage AD. Did lots of research and dealt with a lot of health care professionals and caregivers over the 7 years from diagnosis to the end. Used various care options from community based resources to increasing levels of institutional. Mother of three, two born during our loved one's decline, so I know what it is to be the ham in the sandwich, taking care of the older generation and the younger at the same time and trying to balance everyone`s needs. Ask me, I`ve probably been there, done that. We made lost of mistakes and learned everything the hard way - but you don`t have to! If I can`t answer your question, I`ll steer you to a place or person who can.

Currently a program manager for a large utility company. My Alzheimers experience comes from having the illness in our family. Out of necessity, we did a lot of research in order to understand the disease, plan for what might come next, and make the right decisions to help and support our loved one. Please note, I am a Canadian living in Toronto, and therefore am not the best person to ask about US regulations and insurance rules!