Alzheimer`s Disease/valve surgery and dementia

just me wrote at 2012-04-24 14:55:07
I will keep this short and sweet.  If I would known then (when my mom neede open heart surgery) what I know now - I would never have let her have the surgery! Dementia is God Aweful

Doris wrote at 2012-10-03 17:32:49
This is a wonderful,helpful answer.I am facing this situation with my father.Thank you.

Penelope wrote at 2013-05-03 16:49:40
Thank you so much Mary as I have been searching the Internet for aortic valve replacement information for my mother who suffers from mid-level dementia. Her cardiologist now wants her to undergo the TAVR, but also told us that if it isn't possible to do the surgery, they will proceed with the open heart valve replacement surgery. We have no choice but to agree with that course of treatment.

We have watched her disease progress; first after her hip replacement surgery (we thought her memory problems were just related to her OCD), and then a huge change after her hernia operation. She has had critical aortic stenosis for over a year. She also suffers from depression and a badly deteriorated disk. I understand her doctor's recommendation for surgery, but I think the cost is too high and I know my mother already hates her loss of memory and ability to function without assistance.

We take care of her which is a 24 hour job, but we will avoid putting her in a home unless we can no longer care for her at home. She is actually making the choice not to undergo surgery because we told her that she may lose more cognitive function even though the surgery will improve her physical health. I  know that she was hoping the surgery would help everything, but after reading testimonies and comments such as yours, I feel surgery is not a good option. After making her decision,  she is now coming to terms with her mortality. This is truly an painful journey filled with frustration and guilt, but I am praying that she will be able to enjoy these last days/years that she has left.

Alzheimer`s Disease

Mary Gordon

Several years direct experience as caregiver for family member who died of end stage AD. Did lots of research and dealt with a lot of health care professionals and caregivers over the 7 years from diagnosis to the end. Used various care options from community based resources to increasing levels of institutional. Mother of three, two born during our loved one's decline, so I know what it is to be the ham in the sandwich, taking care of the older generation and the younger at the same time and trying to balance everyone`s needs. Ask me, I`ve probably been there, done that. We made lost of mistakes and learned everything the hard way - but you don`t have to! If I can`t answer your question, I`ll steer you to a place or person who can.

Currently a program manager for a large utility company. My Alzheimers experience comes from having the illness in our family. Out of necessity, we did a lot of research in order to understand the disease, plan for what might come next, and make the right decisions to help and support our loved one. Please note, I am a Canadian living in Toronto, and therefore am not the best person to ask about US regulations and insurance rules!