Alzheimer`s Disease/end of life with ALZ

My MIL has end stage ALZ. A few days ago, she fell and broke her shoulder and is in the hospital.

After meeting with doctors, the care plan suggested is to send her to a rehab facility and also to send hospice with her.  

I am confused.  It is obvious that she is end stage, and with an injury like she has, in addition to her inability to understand directions for the rehab, why would they want to send her to a rehab facility?  Wouldn't it be better for her to provide comfort care rather than put her through all that pain?

Hello Tammy:  I'm very sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's recent trauma.  I agree--it is confusing as to why they would send her to a rehab facility.  My only thought about that is that it could be because they are better equipped to handle moving her about in bed with lifts and such than maybe another place might be.  I would advise you to contact the social worker assigned to her case to ask your question because it would not be appropriate for her to go through the pain and stress of rehab unless they have a very good reason for it.  Sometimes, gentle, slow range of motion exercises are needed to prevent painful contractures of the muscles and this could be a reason they've opted for rehab.  Another possibility is that her insurance requires that she go to rehab following hospitalization.  These are questions the social worker should be able to have answered for you.  I wish you much luck as you continue to advocate for her care at the end of her life Tammy.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing