Alzheimer`s Disease/Problems with Vascular dementia

Question
My dad has been diagnosed with vascular dementia resulting from a stroke in 2008. Until about June of this year we have seen very litle signs of this. Starting in June he began crying a lot, now he cries all day long, non-stop very loudly. He is also becoming very combative. He has always been a very gentle caring laid back type of person. This is cause severe stress on my mom, having to listen to the crying all day. He doesn't want to eat much unless we give him medication to help with his appetite. He tells us everyday he wants to go home and we cannot convince him he is at his house. He always knows who everybody is, but just don't think he's at home. Waht can we do about the non-stop crying.

Answer
Hello Donna:  I'm sorry to hear of your dad's current suffering and I hope you can help him through this quickly.  
I must apologize for the delay in answering this--I neglected to tell AllExperts I would be out of town and I just returned.
It sounds to me as if the damage in his brain from his strokes could be why he's crying so much, but I am not a physician.  He must be evaluated by a neurologist as soon as possible to see if there is any structural reason in his brain for the constant stimulation that may be triggering this crying--maybe an accumulation of fluid in that area of his brain that constantly puts pressure on it.  They would probably do some type of scan and if nothing new is found, they could start him on a medication that may help.  
It's important for you and your family to stop trying to convince him he is already at home--just go along with his reality and give him hope that he will get what he wants soon.  If he will forget what you've told him in a few hours, then you could stall for time by saying something like "Okay dad, we'll take  you home just as soon as ...."  The goal is to give him hope and keep him calm and happy and you will never accomplish that if you are always trying to make his damaged brain believe what is your reality and not his reality.  
This is a very challenging time for all of you and it would help all of you if you could learn ways to interact with him that help keep him calm.  There are books available, and my book, "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" would greatly help all of you as well as give you answers to questions you haven't even asked yet.  I encourage you to think about reading that.  
Good luck to you Donna as you help your dad move forward on his journey through dementia.  Cindy
th

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner