Alzheimer`s Disease/Alzheimer's starvation

Question
Hi, my Nana has been in the hospital for just over 6 weeks now. she has been diagnosed with the disease and believes that she no longer needs food or forgets she has to eat. everything even her favorite foods and sweets taste awful to her now. Its been going on for 6 weeks, she gone from 148 pounds and is now at 105 pounds.  tonight her breathing was very heavy and breathes were between 3-8 seconds in between.she is always cold in her hand and feet, feels like she has to throw up,her heart rate is rising,
she is forcing words out, no energy left,sleeping much more, and is always in pain in her stomach area, i could go on.I was wondering how long this takes for her to pass on, because all i see is pain that cant be controlled and suffering. How much longer could this go on? she is on hospice and has been for about 2 Weeks, i'm aware no one cant give me a time or date, but how much longer do you think this drag on for her?

Answer
Hello Travis,

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother.  I know this is an awful time for you and your family to watch.

Unfortunately, it may not be much longer Travis....especially if your grandmother decides to stop taking any fluids.  Typically, the body cannot go without fluids for more than 7 days.   If she gets fluids by intravenous than she may last longer.

I am truly sorry for your loss.  I'm sure your grandmother doesn't want you to see her like this and is probably ready to pass on.   She will finally be free of the horrible disease.

Many prayers and blessings,

Michalene Peticca, MA

Alzheimer`s Disease

Michalene Peticca