Alzheimer`s Disease/Bedridden

Question
Hi my father has alzhiemers a few weeks ago he started to complain of painful legs eventually he stopped walking and his appetite has reduced dramatically in the last two weeks he is now bedridden and i noticed today that his feet and lower legs are very purple when I touch his feet he grimaces in pain he now will not open his eyes and doesn't respond very much to touch only when he is in pain ( he is profoundly deaf) so touch and sight are the only things he gets input from, I am very worried the nurse just says its bad circulation and he is poorley so it's very usual, what can I do and what is causing the purple painful feet . Thankyou

Answer
Hi Julie, I'd ask for him to see the doctor. This seems quite sudden - if they are also cold to touch, I'd suggest it was poor circulation possibly from heart failure. Alternately it could be blood clots impairing circulation - or even an infection.  I'd insist on a doctor taking a look so you can get a more accurate idea of what is going on.

I'd be worried that if he does not already have some infection, he will develop leg ulcers and then be at risk of cellulitis. No matter what it is, he should not be in pain. He needs to be kept comfortable, and a doctor can advise what it is and what can be done.  Any time there is a change in the person's condition over a relatively short time frame, you have to suspect a physical ailment that needs to be evaluated.

No matter what the options, the poor man should not be left hurting.

You sound like a good daughter - he is lucky to have his family concerned about him and asking all the right questions.  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Mary Gordon