Alzheimer`s Disease/caretaker

Question
I just told that my Grandma has Alzheimer; although not she if she does I'm going go with her to next appointment find out what to do. Guess my question is I don't know where to began what do I need to do. Currently she leave mostly by herself. Already said don't want ever go to nursery home, this was before Alzheimer no one to stay with her during day everyone works and can't afford stay home. I'm loss. Afraid too don't want see her loss her mind. Please help. How does nursing home thing work who pays for that. Hope don't seem like that issue. I don't want stuck her in nursing home

Answer
Hi Veronica,

First there is no need to panic nor is there need to put her in a home ASAP. This disease doesn't go rapidly if she does then its probably not Alzheimer's. I think it is great that you are going to the doctor with her. I think you or someone should go with her from now on. Otherwise she may forget what the doctor tells her and just make something up later to tell you.

I think once you get the diagnosis for sure that you should contact the Alzheimer's Association in your area. They will have all the information you will need. They will also be able to help you figure out what your grandmother's needs are going to be and how best to help her. They will be able to hook you up with the other agencies that your grandmother may need.

This disease is awful but the more you learn about it now the better off both of you will be as it progresses. So call the Alzheimer's Association as soon as you can. On a second thought call now! Don't wait til after the doctor's appointment. They can help you get a list of questions together to ask the doctor.

I hope this helps you. I'm sorry your grandmother has to go through this. But she is lucky to have you to help her!  Stay strong and remember to take care of you too!
Paula

Alzheimer`s Disease

Paula Damgaard