Alzheimer`s Disease/wife

Linda Wein wrote at 2013-01-15 02:46:36
CORRECTION to the above answer: Fluoxetene (Prozac) is NOT an antipsychotic drug. It is an antidepressant in the SSRI class.

Its effect is to increase seratonin. The black box warning issued by the FDA was for drugs known as typical antipscyotics, such as Haloperidol (Haldol) and the newer atypical antipsychotics such as Risperidone, Seroquel and Quetiapine. These are the drugs which are typically given to alzheimers patients for agitation and aggession;recent studies have also shown that these are not particularly effective for agitation anyways.

The SSRI antidepressant drugs have been used to try to reduce agitation, and are sometimes effective.  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Mary Gordon

Several years direct experience as caregiver for family member who died of end stage AD. Did lots of research and dealt with a lot of health care professionals and caregivers over the 7 years from diagnosis to the end. Used various care options from community based resources to increasing levels of institutional. Mother of three, two born during our loved one's decline, so I know what it is to be the ham in the sandwich, taking care of the older generation and the younger at the same time and trying to balance everyone`s needs. Ask me, I`ve probably been there, done that. We made lost of mistakes and learned everything the hard way - but you don`t have to! If I can`t answer your question, I`ll steer you to a place or person who can.

Currently a program manager for a large utility company. My Alzheimers experience comes from having the illness in our family. Out of necessity, we did a lot of research in order to understand the disease, plan for what might come next, and make the right decisions to help and support our loved one. Please note, I am a Canadian living in Toronto, and therefore am not the best person to ask about US regulations and insurance rules!