Alzheimer`s Disease/MRI scan

I look after a person who is 88 years old and the local district nurse wants to send him for a MRI scan to see if he has Alz or Dementia, we all know he has this at an early stage, does he really need to go through the process of an MRI that is quite a harrowing ordeal, i dont think he needs it, what do you think...also is there any thing we can give him to help, i heard that Vit B complex can help, please advise

Hello Nigel:  I think the first steps would be for him to go to his family doctor to have some blood tests to rule out other causes of confusion and forgetfulness, as well as maybe a mini-mental status exam and a clock drawing test.  Then, if based on the results of all of those, plus what the caregivers are saying, they are still not convinced, then an MRI would be appropriate.  
Good for you for advocating for this elder Nigel!
There are no definitive studies proving any supplements like Vit. B help, but they don't hurt.  Also, there are a couple of medical foods out there that have been shown in smaller studies to slow the progression.  One is called Axona and must be prescribed by a doctor, and the other is Souvenaid.  You may want to try one of those.  
Good luck to you Nigel as you continue to care for this elder.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing