Alzheimer`s Disease/Swallowing Problems for Mom

Question
My mom has moderate dementia and for the last 5 months she has gone from 123 lbs to 111 lbs. She has problems swallowing and I think that is the reason she doesn't eat much. I have been cutting her foods in small pieces. She seems to hide her foods lately. She had a swallowing test and it appeared to be normal. Is this part of her dementia and how long can this linger on before she loses more weight again? I am her daughter/caregiver 24/7 since August 2012.

Answer
Hello Susan:  I'm very sorry to hear of your mom's decline--I'm sure you're very worried about the weight loss since she's a small person to begin with.  That's a significant loss of weight for her to have had in only 5 months.  It's likely due to the progression of the dementia in her brain to where it's now affecting her ability to swallow.  Despite a "normal" swallowing test, I would have her evaluated by a speech/language pathologist in order to see just what consistency of foods or fluids she would tolerate best without choking.  It may be that you need to thicken her liquids to honey-like consistency, or serve only pureed foods at this point.  It's important to try to stop the weight loss, so serving her foods/fluids that she really likes will help.  Milk shakes jazzed up with protein powder, if she can tolerate them would be good.  Those nutrition supplement drinks, in her favorite flavor may help as well.  Any way you can get extra calories into her is good--think about putting butter/peanut butter/etc. on bread or toast instead of margarine.  Don't worry at this point about reducing fat or sugar content (unless she's diabetic) or what her cholesterol levels are. Sometimes an appetite enhancer such as Eldertonic, or Marinol can help.  Remeron has been shown to help as well, but would need to be prescribed like the Marinol.  
I wish you much luck Susan as you try to find ways to prevent her weight loss, but this is a common progression in dementia and there may be only so much you can accomplish.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner