Alzheimer`s Disease/Is this the end?

My grandmother is in "stage 7" of AD. She has been bed bound for almost 4 years now, and has lost the ability to do just about everything. For the last month she has been having constant(24/7) jerking in her arm and jaw (her right leg started in the last 24 hours). Hospice informed my mother that they were mini-strokes even though it looks like a seizure. They never stop. She has also Stopped eating and only takes about 20-32 ounces of water a day. Her pulse seems to be normal, but BP is very low, and is on oxygen all the time to assist with her breathing. I was just wondering how close to the end are we?

Hello Steph:  I'm sorry to hear of your grandmother's slow decline. I know it must be very hard for you and your family to watch.  It's difficult to say just how close to the end she is, but her hospice nurse would be able to give you an idea of some of the signs of impending death.  If her legs begin to turn a mottled blue, that's often a sign the end is very near.  I'm very glad to hear she is on hospice since they will be able to keep her more comfortable.  I think it's likely she doesn't know her arms and jaw are jerking like that, and if she seems to be uncomfortable by anything, the hospice nurses could give her something to calm her.  Please don't hesitate to ask the hospice nurses any questions you have because that's one of their duties--to also care for the caregivers.  I wish your grandmother a peaceful passing Steph.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing