Alzheimer`s Disease/End stage alzheimer's

Leigh wrote at 2012-12-30 23:33:48
Mary, my beloved mother passed away early Christmas morning.  She slipped away peacefully in her sleep, needing no atropine drops or morphine.  It was an easy and natural death.  She looked right at me and smiled at me up until the last day, and even tried to drink her Ensure the day before she died.  I miss her more than words can say, but am relieved that her suffering is over.  Thank you so much for your kind, thoughtful and knowledgeable insights.  You help so many people through this forum, and I am grateful to you.  I know many others feel the same.  People going through this need as much support as they can find.  Thank you.

Leigh Loveday

Leigh wrote at 2012-12-30 23:39:08
Mary, I need to add that we did have hospice support and they were wonderful.  Someone came in and gave my mom a bed bath the day before she died, washed her hair and made her beautiful.  Others visited, cleaned her mouth and showed me the mottling that had begun on my mother's feet.  At that point it was Christmas eve and I knew we were looking at a Christmas passing.  She did breath louder, and at first there was a slight rattle, but that actually went away and the breathing was just a bit labored, but not at all distressing to hear.  We were lucky, I know.  The death was peaceful, as I said before.  I wanted to explain what transpired, so that others might benefit.  You were so right.

Leigh

Susan wrote at 2013-03-25 02:34:46
In reading this, I am somewhat calmed, as my mother (81yrs) is in the final stage of dementia and is experiencing many of the same. The smile and innocent look she gives me sometimes is both soothing and sad, but helps me nonetheless. I am hoping for a peaceful ending, rather than complications...she is at home with my 84 yr old father and has hospice. Dad needs an aortic valve replacement and was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and is doing his best caring for Mom. I can only hope for a short time of suffering for her, and being able to pass at home rather than in a nursing home or hospital..time will tell. Your posts are so informative and helpful, and provides me with a sense of camaraderie that is almost like a group therapy. Thanks to all!

Alzheimer`s Disease

Mary Gordon