Alzheimer`s Disease/irrational

Question
My stepmother has been diagnosed in the early stages of Alzheimer disease. Although we got along well for many years,about 6 months ago she began making irratonal accusations against me. For example has accused me of coming into the house when they are gone (a three hour drive each way ) and stealing knick knacks. She has accused me of taking my Dad's military souvinirs, when he gave them to me years ago. she accused me yesterday of trying to "sell the house out from under" her and my dad. How do I deal with this kind of thing? I could ignore it, or I could try to reason with her. For example, I could point out that I couldn't sell the house even if  wanted to and would gain no benefit from leaving them homeless. My dad is in denial about the whole thing, so he is not much help.

Thanks

Jo

Answer
Hello Jo:  I'm very sorry to hear of your stepmother's accusations against you--I'm sure it's very upsetting to you.  If she has an actual diagnosis of AD, then your father must pull his head out of the sand and start to make some plans for her care because she will not get better.  Everyone around her will be affected and will have an effect on her, so all of you need to know how to interact better with her.
First, you should know that this type of personality change can be common in AD.  Even though she is in the "early stage," it may not be possible to try to reorient her by telling her that she has AD and that is making her suspicious.  It MAY work only if everyone around you backs it up, but it would probably only be temporary since she would forget.  You may want to stay away for a couple of months since it does help to stay out of sight.  Know that as her brain damage progresses, she will likely stop this paranoia, but it's impossible to say when or if that might happen.  You could also try admitting "guilt" and apologizing to her:  "I'm so sorry Mom about those knicknacks--I had truly thought you had given those to me--I promise I will bring them back here next week--I would never intentionally take something you had not given to me."  The hope with this is that she will be mollified by your confession, and then will forget about it.  The goal with her is to try to keep her happy, healthy, and safe while always treating her with dignity.  That cannot be accomplished by arguing with her and trying to make her see your reality.  
I highly recommend that you and your family purchase my book "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia."  You will find many, many tips in there about how to interact with her in ways that help accomplish your goal.  I also recommend that your father join a caregiver support group so he has some knowledge of what is coming, as well as some support for it.  He must not stand back and allow her to accuse people around her of stealing--he needs to learn how to lovingly and gently navigate around her beliefs.  Sometimes, if the paranoia is persistent, or worsening, a low dose of a medication can help take the edge off, but it should only be a last resort.  
I wish you much luck Jo as you try to deal with your stepmom as well as your father's denial.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner