Alzheimer`s Disease/Vascular dementia and coumadin

My 94 yr old mother ,who has vascular dementia was just diagnosed with a bloodclot in her lung.She was started on Heparin and Coumadin.After being on the blood thinners for four days it seems she is much clearer mentally.Could this be due to medication?

Hello Mary Kay:  I'm very sorry to hear of your mother's recent medical crises.  I'm probably not the best person to answer your question since I am not a physician, but I will give you my opinion.  
The blood thinners will work to thin her blood throughout her entire body, including her brain.  It could be that she had some very, very small vessels in her brain being blocked and the blood thinners have opened them up.  This is just a guess on my part, so you should ask a neurologist for his or her opinion.  
It might also have something to do with the amount of oxygen that is getting through to her brain since she's been on the blood thinners.  The more oxygen, the more alert she will be.  
I wish your mother success as she battles this crises.  Cindy  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing