Alzheimer`s Disease/Early Onset Alzheimer's - is it genetic?

Julie wrote at 2013-04-24 02:22:12
Your story of your mom is just like mine. My mother recently has been diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's at 52. It seemed to happen overnight. Six months ago she was herself. Today she needs 24 hour care. She acts much like 2 year old when it comes to reasoning etc. Like you, I am also worried about getting this disease also. Many of her relatives died from brain aneurisms in there 40's and 50's. So I don't really know if her case is familial. She also has a grandmother who developed dementia in her 80's, but there have been no other documented cases in her family.  She had just gone through menopause when her Alzheimer's began. I wonder if there is any connection with people who have brain aneurisms and this disease. I just had to share my story with you since it is so similar. Who knows maybe there are answers to be found by taking a closer look at these two women whose medical histories are so alike.

Alzheimer`s Disease

Mary Gordon

Several years direct experience as caregiver for family member who died of end stage AD. Did lots of research and dealt with a lot of health care professionals and caregivers over the 7 years from diagnosis to the end. Used various care options from community based resources to increasing levels of institutional. Mother of three, two born during our loved one's decline, so I know what it is to be the ham in the sandwich, taking care of the older generation and the younger at the same time and trying to balance everyone`s needs. Ask me, I`ve probably been there, done that. We made lost of mistakes and learned everything the hard way - but you don`t have to! If I can`t answer your question, I`ll steer you to a place or person who can.

Currently a program manager for a large utility company. My Alzheimers experience comes from having the illness in our family. Out of necessity, we did a lot of research in order to understand the disease, plan for what might come next, and make the right decisions to help and support our loved one. Please note, I am a Canadian living in Toronto, and therefore am not the best person to ask about US regulations and insurance rules!