Alzheimer`s Disease/dementia

Question
I have a 75 year old friend who is being treated for an open wound on a leg which is compromised because of a blood clot she had 20 years ago.  The wound has started to heal, but I have noticed that she has trouble remembering things and how to get to places, could this be associated with her wound on her leg?  She says she isn't taking any new meds and becomes very aggravated and teary when asked too many questions.

Answer
Hi Susan,
There are several areas of concern. First I would wonder about any medications she is currently taking?? Then if they checked out I would wonder if she was septic from the infection?? After all that has been answered MAYBE I would wonder if the stress was bringing out a dementia that was on the verge of appearing but was speeded up due to the infection.

I would make sure her doctor is aware of what is going on with her. Someone needs to take control here and help her. If it is dementia then it is best you find that out now so a plan can be made. If it isn't then maybe a change in medications is in order!  So go with her next time she goes to the doctor or if there isn't an appointment soon make one!! Sometimes we have to be aggressive and tell the doctors what is going on!

So be the force to be reckoned with and help her!!

Good luck!
Paula

Alzheimer`s Disease

Paula Damgaard