Alzheimer`s Disease/Dementia and amputation

Question
Hi Cindy: My husband is 91 years old and he suffers from dementia. Because of his diabetic he developed gangreen on his left  leg...The vascular doctor sugeste amputation,he said that otherwise the gangreen will take over his whole body and eventualy die...as you can imagine this is a very hard decition for me to do because I know the risks for a person like him to have such a mayor surgery. At this point I am very confused and don't know what to do..will you be able to help me? Thanking you very much yours truly:
Carmen

Answer
Hello Carmen:  I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's complications with his diabetes.  I know it's very hard to make decisions when you're under such tremendous stress.  Please remember I am not a physician, but I can tell you what I would do if this were my husband or my father.  
Gangrene is a very serious thing and it will end his life if it's not stopped.  Many times, the only way they can stop it is to amputate the affected area.  You are correct in that having major surgery at his age is a serious thing, but at this point, it is the only thing that gives him any chance for recovery.  If his heart and lungs are strong, he may very well come through the surgery in good shape.  If he doesn't have the surgery, the gangrene will slowly poison his entire system and he will succumb to it.  The longer he waits for the surgery, the harder it will be for his body to recover from the damage.  Regardless of the outcome of the surgery, you can take some comfort in knowing that you are doing your very best to make the right decisions for him--as I'm sure you have done for many years up to now.  You cannot know what the outcome of the surgery will be, but if he doesn't have the surgery, he will succumb to the infection.  My prayer for you Carmen is that you can find the strength to make the decision, and know that you are doing everything in your power to help your dear husband.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner