Alzheimer`s Disease/Dementia/ Eating

WOW Cindy what a gem you are! I have been reading some of the questions & your replies to people. You are so kind, understanding, comforting & educated.
My Dad had the type of dementia where he was quiet at home and just a little mixed up but OK yet when he went outside the home, he would get confused. As I look back over the years w/what I know now, I can see where he had dementia for many years yet we (the family) were not aware and none of the many, many professionals alerted us to this until the end. He was doing Ok at home but insisted on going to the ER for his COPD & then ended up in a nursing home since he was otherwise healthy. At the nursing home he didn't even know the difference between my Mother and a nurse. He died 2 wks later from not eating. I thought he was just being stubborn because they were trying to force him to walk and left him sit in dirty diapers for long periods of time and he seemed irritated w/all that.One day when I came in, he was in just a diaper laying in bed shaking & the nurse said he was fine & just faking it.It was heartbreaking & frustrating to have to deal w/professionals like that. (Do you know how valuable you are Cindy?) During a short period where he seemed lucid, I was able to tell him that I Loved him and he gave a response where I knew he understood and knew who I was. At the same time, I asked him why he wasn't eating but he couldn't tell me but I really think he just was so mixed up that he did not realize that it was important. He did not have a problem choking and was eating at home (though sometimes just a sandwich, milk & juice) I guess more than anything, I just want to say THANK YOU. You're an amazing person & will  never know how much help & comfort you are giving to people. My Dad died in 2006 and I'm in tears right now. The info I have read has been of much value to my comfort after all these years and it's so nice to know that there are professionals that really do care. THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO FROM YOUR HEART - the world needs more people like you!

Linda--You have me in tears reading of your dear Dad's final days in that awful place!  I'm so sorry that happened, but please know that you and your family did the best you knew how to do at the time.  We can only continue on with trying to educate people that there is a much better way.  Your kind words mean a lot to me and I thank you for sharing them with me.  I get a huge amount of satisfaction from helping families learn how to keep their loved ones happy, healthy and living with dignity.  I do know that I provide a great service to caregivers, and that they appreciate it very much, but it's always a special privilege to hear it from people like you who have had to walk that difficult walk with a loved one.  My father too, passed away in a nursing home with dementia.  The last time I saw him, he knew me, and I think he knew we would not meet again in this life.  So hard, but I'm sure both our Dad's are in a wonderful place now and we'll see them again with smiles.  Bless you Linda.  Hugs, Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing