Alzheimer`s Disease/activities

I work helping elderly with dementia and blind or and deaf, what activities u think is best for them? I just got promoted to a new position and I love it, I also was my mother caregiver,she had Alzheimer's.

Hello Jojo:  Bless you for taking on the job of keeping those wonderful elders entertained!  The activities will be quite varied because not all people enjoy the same things.  The most important thing to remember is that you should not treat them like children--because they NEVER forget they are adults.  So, an activity such as tossing a beachball in a circle should be introduced as a fun thing to do to keep the arms and shoulders limber, and you can liken it to a game they might have played as children--but to not introduce it as a fun "adult" game.  They often like the "Finish the sentence" gatherings such as "When I was a child, my favorite thing to eat was...."  Also, questions such as "What do you suppose this person/animal is doing in this picture?"  You will get some surprising conversations going.  For the blind, you would modify that to tactile objects--"what do you think this object is and what is it used for?"  For the elders with dementia and the deaf, videos that only contain babies, puppies, or kittens playing are great because there is no dialogue or follow.  For any elder, actually bringing in animals is huge.  Music is also huge for elders--age appropriate, and you can modify that possibly with deaf people feeling the beat of the bass to some favorite songs (if they haven't been deaf since infancy).  I would encourage you to get connected with activity professionals websites and organizations.  You can earn continuing ed credits and broaden your expertise that way as well.  Always be sure to carry out your activities with a big smile on your face that will be conveyed in your voice, and in your touch.  Good luck to you Jojo as you enrich the lives of these elders every day.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing