Alzheimer`s Disease/elderly

Question
Why does an 85yr old woman go into a fetal position and not want do get up at all?

Answer
Hello Helen:  I'm guessing that since you're asking this question in the "Alzheimer's" category, that this woman does have some type of dementia.  Many experts call AD "aging in reverse" because the most complex skills are lost first until almost all abilities are lost and they become as an infant again.  This is likely what is happening with this woman.  Her dementia has progressed to the point where assuming the fetal position and sleeping many hours a day--like an infant--is what is most comforting for her.  I would allow her this comfort, but when she is awake to eat or bathe, be sure to gently and very slowly stretch out those limbs so she doesn't develop painful contractures in them.  Play her favorite music and sing her favorite songs while working with her and you will have a much better response.  Massage her back and all those limbs while doing the stretches or bathing her.  Good luck to you Helen as you move with this woman on her journey through dementia.  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner