Alzheimer`s Disease/Adult Daycare

My mother has expressive aphasia and lack of control on her right side since her stroke, and now she is developing some form of Demensia. We have had her in an adult daycare for a few hours twice a week, but lately she hasn't been feeding herself even with food right in front of her. Not sure if she doesn't want to eat or expects people to spoon feed her everything these days. The people at her daycare are not required to help in this way and she has basically been kicked out, and also she seems to have a really incontinence issue. Pretty much every 2 hours she needs to go. Is there a daycare type place that is more like a nursing home, but on a few hours at a time basis?

Hello James:
This must be extremely frustrating for you and your family to deal with--as well as for your dear mother.  Yes, strokes in the brain will cause a type of dementia known as vascular or multi-infarct dementia.  What they are unable to do depends upon the area of the brain that was damaged in the stroke.  My first thought about not feeding herself with the food in front of her is that her vision may be compromised to the point where she cannot see the food.  You could try putting everything into a sandwich and handing it to her to see if she can feed herself that way.  
The day care centers are all a bit different in the services they provide.  You might try to find another day care that would help her to eat if she needs it as well as toilet her as often as she requires it.  There is also the option of checking at different nursing homes or assisted living facilities to see if they do "respite" care for elders with cognitive (memory) and functional (ability to feed or toilet herself) deficits.  If they agree they could take her in as a respite client, then you could set up the days/hours you wish.  Many of them require at least a 4 hour stay each time.  She would receive much the same care there as the other permanent residents and be able to participate in the activities that are going on at the time.  It's a good option and I hope you are able to locate such a facility nearby.  Good luck to you James as you help your mother on her journey through dementia.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing