Alzheimer`s Disease/Alzheimer's

Question
We recently discovered my mother doesn't have Alzheimer's but likely does have some form of Demensia. Is Alzheimer's considered the worst possibility, or can it be just as bad with something else causing similar symptoms?

Answer
Hello James:  I'm sorry to hear of your mother's diagnosis.  I'm encouraged that you are seeking answers and I hope you continue to do so.
"Dementia" is the umbrella term.  There are over 50 types of dementia and Alzheimer's is the most common type of dementia.  All of these dementias are progressive and there is no cure for them.  The different types of dementia often start out differently and may progress through the brain in a different way, but eventually, all elders with dementia will exhibit the same deficits in function and cognition.  It's hard to say which type of dementia would be worse to have--I guess it would depend on the family and the support system.  In some ways, it's easier to deal with someone with little or no short term memory (such as in Alz.), than it is for someone with Lewy Body Dementia where they have a progressive memory loss, but in the earlier stages do not have short term memory loss.  They cannot be redirected as easily as someone with Alzheimer's.  Please continue to seek answers and find the best ways of dealing with her behaviors.  I'm sure it is not easy for her to be going through this so you and your family would be doing all of you a favor if you can find the best ways to support her and keep her safe.  "Learning To Speak Alzheimer's" by Joanne Koenig-Coste, or my book "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" are both excellent starting books that will answer many questions you don't even know you need to ask right now.  A new book just out "A Healing Hug for Alzheimer's Caregiver's" by Elizabeth Postle is a very simple and basic book that gives a lot of good information as well.  
I wish you and your family much luck James as you move forward with your mother on her journey through dementia.  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner