Alzheimer`s Disease/dementia

Question
Hi there, my mum is in the very late stage of dementia and is a lovely nursing home in the u.k.  eight days  ago we were told she had hours to live as she had double pneumonia. She survived and every other night we are being called in as she either has very racing pulse or barely a pulse. She has not eaten for 10 days or had any fluids for 10 days. One minute she is making horendous noises next she has her eyes open staring into space. I have spoken to the nurses and they do not understand what is happening. The doctors have put her on continuous diamorphine and another medication to help with adjitation. Can you help me understand what is going on and how long will she be like this as it is horrible to see

Answer
Hello Donna:  I'm so sorry to hear of your dear mother's decline.  It's amazing that she survived the pneumonia, but since she has not been able to have food or fluids for such a long time, I can't believe it will be much longer until she passes.  I'm hoping she is on hospice since they are good about making one comfortable during the dying process, as well as helping out the family members.  They would be able to give you a much better estimate of how long they think she can continue on.  The labored and then quiet breathing is one sign of impending death (and quite common), but again, it's difficult to say with any accuracy how long it will take.  My heart goes out to you and your family Donna as you are there to help your mother through this final transition. If your mother is still lingering when you receive this answer, I would suggest you ask the doctor to put her on hospice so you can all get some answers.  I wish I could be more specific, but unfortunately I cannot.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner