Alzheimer`s Disease/Amputations

Question
My mother who does not have Alzheimer, but has some dementia from a recent stroke, developed a blood clot and needs an immediate amputation of her lower right leg.  Probably above knee do to knee replacement 17 year's ago.  Sever degenerative arthritis, left her mobility severely limited already, shoulder's are shot and arm strength minimal, left side even less functional since the stroke.  She is tired and ready to go home.  What I can't seem to find is if allowing the limb to infect and gangrene, just letting her die is a viable option?  Is it legal, could she be made comfortable enough with morphine? Could it be more pain and trauma free than undergoing the surgery with no hope of returning mobility? (and likely more ensuing complications with the diabetes)  I need help, and cannot find answers about non-treatment.  Have you perhaps any experience with patients opting out?

Answer
Hello Terri:  I'm so sorry that you're faced with this awful decision about your mother!  It must be heart-wrenching, and I can only offer you a suggestion.
The best person to talk to about this would be her primary physician.  I would ask him/her if it's possible to place her on hospice and let nature take it's course with her leg.  I'm sure they are aware of her condition, her prognosis, and hopefully even her wishes.  Being on hospice means they will only treat for pain or fractures, and they would make sure she is not in pain throughout the process.  
It would be much easier (legally) for you to make this decision if you are the durable healthcare power of attorney for her.  If you have siblings, I would ask them to be present with you when you talk to the doctor so he/she can see the entire family is united in this decision.
I wish you much luck Terri as you move forward to help your dear mother in her final journey.  Cindy  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner