Alzheimer`s Disease/dementia chanting

My mother is 94 she has taken Aircept for 12 years and was just taken off...I was told it would not help her anymore.

She fell and cracked ribs and pelvis and big pain..took therapy and did well...she can walk with walker about 18 feet now....

She is now in a Nursing home 60 people and we love it there for her...lots of staff and love.

my concern now is that she has this chanting thing going on...It seems that she is in some trance...her eyes closed and it is hard to understand her....I told my brother the other day that it is like she is dreaming....but awake.  She also is way in the past when she was little...she will say things about her mother and has to get home....please help the nursing home and my search for answers are that it is part of the there any thing that can be done or does it not bother her...will this continue.

Pat Neff
Loving our mother

Hello Patricia:  I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's current problems--I'm sure it's confusing and upsetting for you and your family.  
First, I was happy to hear that at 94 she's still up and walking!  I wouldn't be upset about the chanting as long as she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort.  It is the dementia that is causing it, and she will continue to do it until that area of her brain becomes destroyed by the dementia.  One thing you might try is to play some of her favorite music for her.  Then, instead of chanting, she may be singing along with the music.  
Regression to the past is also very common and not something to worry about.  Just get into her reality with her and ask her questions about whatever she's thinking about.  "What will your mother make for supper tonight?"  "What is your favorite thing to do after school?"  
If you noticed some major changes after she was taken off the Aricept, then I would ask that it be restarted.  Also, you might want to consider adding Namenda.  The combination of those two drugs works better than anything else we have available and can help delay the progression of the dementia.  She may stop the chanting and begin talking more.  Namenda has a very low side effect profile, and must be titrated up over at least a month.  She shouldn't be re-started on the Aricept back at the same dose--it should also be started low and slow.  That's if you decide to go that route. It's not necessarily true that the anti-dementia meds (Aricept, Exelon, Razadyne and Namenda) no longer are effective after so many years.  I've seen elders who are bed-ridden, cannot speak, feed themselves, and are incontinent, but when those meds are withdrawn, they become more restless--so it's apparent that the drugs were doing something to help them.  
I wish you much luck Patricia as you and your family move forward with your mother on her journey through dementia.  Cindy  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing