Alzheimer`s Disease/Alzheimer

Question
Hi mary,My name is kumar i am from india.i am a student and my age is 19.5,i am not a patient of Alzheimer but i want to ask you that i heard that there is some smart drug in market called nootroopic which improves memory.as a student i want to take it.does it really improves our memory,is there any side-effect in using it?

Answer
Hi Kumar, a nootropic is not a specific drug, but it's a term used to mean a substance that enhances cognition and memory and facilitates learning. So, it could be certain vitamins, herbs, supplements, foods, or even prescription drugs, reputed to improve such mental functions or to lessen or prevent damage to brain cells.

Can't really answer the side effects question because there are so many very different things that are called nootropic. For example Bacopa Monnieri is an Ayurvedic herb found in the marshlands of your country believed to help the body to enhance clear thinking. Here is an article that names several current ones popular with students and young professionals.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/16/nootropics-can-these-smart-drugs-super-

I can't really comment on whether or not these work as I have no experience with any of them, or what kind of side effects or warnings apply. You would have to look each one up on line and read about them to determine if you are satisfied that any risk or their cost is worth the potential improvements that might or might not happen.

Hope this helps!  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Mary Gordon