Alzheimer`s Disease/The best undergarments for my gram

Hello. I'm 36 yrs. old and I am caring for my husband's Grammy full time. She has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's  and is 92 yrs. of age. She has some incontinence problems but nothing major. Well that is when she keeps her underwear (depends) and pads (poise) on. She recently started doing this thing at night where she takes off her pull up underwear and I don't know about it till much later when the mess has been made. We have a monitor and a laser alarm in her room that lets us know when she puts her legs out of her bed. I guess my 2 questions are what if anything can I do to prevent this and is there a product of sorts that I can get to stop this from continuing? I'm so tired of giving showers, changing sheets and scrubbing floors at 3-4 in the morning. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Hi Jessie, there are "anti-strip" suits that might help, since the challenge you are having with Grammy is more common than you might think! They are like a jumpsuit that zips up the back. They may not totally stop her from pulling the pads and pullups off completely, but they certainly will make it very difficult for her to get at them.

I do have personal experience with Silvert's buying hard to find items for my mother in law, and found them very helpful (i.e. you can call them up and tell them your circumstances and they can often make good suggestions). They make all kinds of adaptive clothing for the incontinent and those who may be difficult to dress.

There are a number of other good adaptive clothing companies that have products that might work and are worth trying. Even if they don't have an actual pajama, a soft knit anti-strip jumpsuit she can't get off would do the same thing.

If you do a google on anti-strip suits, you will find other clothing firms carrying the same or comparable products. See what you think about the clothing - might be worth a try.

On the bed problem, we used to put several layers of sheets and bed pads on top of each other on the bed so we could just strip off a layer or two rather than have to remake the whole bed in the wee hours. I don't know if you have tried this.

Hang in there, I know how very frustrating and dismaying this can be when you can't stop a behavior that is causing grief for everyone.
Hope this helps. She's lucky to have you looking out for her.

Alzheimer`s Disease

Mary Gordon

Several years direct experience as caregiver for family member who died of end stage AD. Did lots of research and dealt with a lot of health care professionals and caregivers over the 7 years from diagnosis to the end. Used various care options from community based resources to increasing levels of institutional. Mother of three, two born during our loved one's decline, so I know what it is to be the ham in the sandwich, taking care of the older generation and the younger at the same time and trying to balance everyone`s needs. Ask me, I`ve probably been there, done that. We made lost of mistakes and learned everything the hard way - but you don`t have to! If I can`t answer your question, I`ll steer you to a place or person who can.

Currently a program manager for a large utility company. My Alzheimers experience comes from having the illness in our family. Out of necessity, we did a lot of research in order to understand the disease, plan for what might come next, and make the right decisions to help and support our loved one. Please note, I am a Canadian living in Toronto, and therefore am not the best person to ask about US regulations and insurance rules!