Alzheimer`s Disease/Physical Activity

Question
I have a situation right now that I desperately need an answer to.  I have an 85 yr old lady that I am her caregiver.  At her peak in life she was extremely active.  She was diagnosed about 3 years ago with Alz/Dem.  She lives in the past a lot and at times tries to act as such. For the most part she stays in her bed but is very restless at times.  She constantly is pulling her blankets over her head or wrapping her oxygen tube around her neck or just moving and picking at things that she thinks she is seeing.  Recently she woke up with her face and eyes black and blue. Her son and I have no clue as to what happened.  When we got her to the hospital to make sure she was alright they ask her what happened to her and her response was she fell out of the bed.  She was in the bed that morning.  Right now there is an investigation because medical personel claim she was beaten.  Her injuries are just to her face and head.  When ask if she was able to get out of bed of course our answer is "no not possible"  I do know with this disease that anything is possible.  My question is In her constant state of mind could she have fallen out of bed and got back up by herself by living in her past when she was walking and standing on her own.

Answer
Hello Alisa,

This sounds like a very involved situation for you right now.   I am sure have done an excellent job in caring for this individual.  Unfortunately, it is really hard to tell what has happened to her.  

Are there any siderails on her bed?   She may have perhaps gotten up and then back to bed.   I guess i question if this individual is so active, why isn't there some plan of exercise for her?   From standing her up to you walking even a few steps with her?   Can she do that?   If she stays in her bed, but is restless, it sounds like she needs some type of movement activity....can you get a wheeled walker?   

Please look into options to strengthen her at this point.

With Best Regards,

Michalene Peticca, MA

Alzheimer`s Disease

Michalene Peticca