Alzheimer`s Disease/please response

My mother has alzheimer's disease. She always used  Aricept. In the last two months  she stopped  using  aricept because she had leg  amputation . 10 days  ago  she has problems with swallowing and stop drinking and eating
   . I think  she is late stage and she is 82 old  My question  can we  start  again  use  aricept.  
   Please answer

Hello Dragan:  I'm very sorry to hear of your mother's decline and the amputation--I'm sure it's very distressing for you and your family at this time.  It is always a guessing game when using any medications in an elder with dementia.  From what I know about Aricept (and I'm not a doctor), is that once the medication is withdrawn, it can be restarted again--but started at a lower dose and titrated up.  It also seems that once an elder declines after the withdrawal of a drug like Aricept, they usually do not regain the function or cognition that has been lost.  That being said, I think it's worth a try to restart it.  She may also have declined in part due to the anesthesia and the surgery itself (found in recent studies to hasten the decline in the brain).  Also, the pain medications may be interfering with her appetite, or there is a possibility that she may have suffered a stroke and that is why she is unable to swallow properly.  Whatever the cause, it's extremely difficult for families to make decisions at a time like this.  I pray that you and your family are able to keep her calm, comfortable and pain free whatever your decisions may be.  I wish I had better news for you on this question.  Cindy  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing